You Need to be 16
- Novelstar Services are only for people 16 years old and over. If we learn someone under 16 is using
Novelstar Services, we’ll terminate their account.
You Need an Account
You can’t browse very much on the Site or use the Services without registering for an account. To get
the most out of the Novelstar platform, you’ll need to register, choose an account name, and set a
You’re responsible for all the activity on your account, and for keeping your password confidential. If you share your account information with anyone, that other person may be able to take control of the account, and we may not be able to determine who is the proper account holder. We will not have any liability to you (or anyone you share your account information with) as a result of your or their actions under those circumstances. If you find out that someone’s used your account without your permission, you should report it at email@example.com
Your Content is Yours
- You own all the rights to the content you create and post on the Novelstar Services. Of course, if the
content wasn’t yours to begin with, putting it on Novelstar doesn’t make it yours. Don’t submit content
you don’t hold the copyright for (unless you have permission, including to grant Novelstar all the
rights outlined in these terms).
When you post content to Novelstar, we need the legal permission under applicable copyright laws to
display that content to users of the Novelstar Services. Legally this means you give us a nonexclusive
license to publish your content on the Novelstar Services, including anything reasonably related to
publishing it (like storing, displaying, reformatting, and distributing it). You’ll need to decide how
you want to license your story content to the Novelstar community.
You’re responsible for the content you post. This means you assume all risks related to its publication and display, including someone else’s reliance on its accuracy and any claims relating to intellectual property or other legal rights.
- In your use of the Services you may enter into additional terms and conditions and other agreements that alter or override these Terms of Service. In case of any conflict or inconsistency, the terms and conditions of those additional terms and agreements would override these Terms of Service.
Our Rights in the Services
- We reserve all rights in the Sites’ and the Services look and feel, and in our content. You may not copy or adapt any portion of our code or visual design elements (including logos) without express written permission from Novelstar or as set out in this clause. Please do not use our logo or trademarks in any way that might suggest Novelstar endorses a particular product or service, or you have a business relationship with Novelstar. Please do not alter, stretch, condense, embellish, add sparkles to, or otherwise change our logo in any way. We’re pretty proud of our logo, and we’d like to keep it as it is. Novelstar may change, terminate, or restrict access to any aspect of the Services, at any time, without notice. We can remove any content you post or submit for any reason. Novelstar may access, read, preserve, and disclose any information as we reasonably believe is necessary to (i) satisfy any applicable law, regulation, legal process or governmental request, (ii) enforce the Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violations, (iii) detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues, (iv) respond to user support requests, or (v) protect the rights, property or safety of the Services, its users and the public.
How We Deal with Copyright Issues
- As a service provider, Novelstar has also adopted a policy toward copyright infringement on the Services in accordance with the United States Digital Millennium Copyright Act (the “DMCA”). If you’d like to submit a claim of copyright infringement, please visit our page on Reporting Copyright Infringement:https://author.starlight.ink Novelstar reserves the right to remove content alleged to be infringing without prior notice, at our sole discretion, and without liability to you or anyone else. In appropriate circumstances, we will also terminate a user’s account if the user is determined to be a repeat infringer. We sometimes come across websites that have illegally scraped content from Novelstar. When we find these sites we do our best to have them shutdown. In order to act on behalf of our users we need to have your legal permission to do that so we ask for it here when you sign up. You authorize us to act as your agent to issue take down notices under the DMCA and/or any other similar legislation that allows for the submission of requests to Internet service providers and any other person involved in the illegal posting for the removal of infringing or allegedly infringing copyright materials that are contained in or displayed on such service providers platforms and/or services.
Things You Should and Shouldn’t Do
- Millions of people use the Novelstar platform. We expect all of them to behave responsibly and help keep this a nice place. Please review the Novelstar Code of Conduct (which is part of these Terms of Service), which is designed to ensure that everyone understands what the Novelstar community is all about and the values we treasure, to create a safe, fun and caring environment for story lovers. Without restricting what’s in the Code of Conduct, don’t do any of these things on the Services: Don’t break the law. Don’t take any action that infringes or violates other people’s rights, violates the law, or breaches any contract or legal duty you have toward anyone. Don’t harm anyone’s computer. Don’t distribute software viruses, or anything else (code, films, programs) designed to interfere with the proper function of any software, hardware, or equipment on the Site (whether it belongs to Novelstar or anyone else). Don’t try and damage or disrupt Novelstar. Don’t try to interfere with the proper workings of the Services. Don’t bypass any measures we’ve put in place to secure the Services. Don’t try to damage or get unauthorized access to any system, data, password, or other information. Don’t take any action that imposes an unreasonable load on our infrastructure, or on our third-party providers. (We determine what’s reasonable.) Don’t scrape Novelstar. Don’t use any kind of software, device or method (whether it’s manual or automated) to “crawl”, “spider” or otherwise remove any content from any part of the Site or Services. Don’t make any use of the Site, content or Services that may have the effect of competing with or displacing the market for Novelstar, the Site, or the Services. Don’t steal any content from Novelstar without permission. Don’t change, translate, reproduce, distribute or otherwise create derivative works of any content unless you get explicit consent from the author of that content.
Suspension and Termination of Your Account
- We may suspend or terminate your account or cease providing you with all or part of the Services at any time and for any reason we deem appropriate. We will make reasonable efforts to notify you by the email address associated with your account or the next time you attempt to access your account.
- Each of the subsections below only applies up to the maximum extent permitted under applicable law.
Some jurisdictions do not allow the disclaimer of implied warranties or the limitation of liability
in contracts, and as a result the contents of this section may not apply to you. Nothing in this
section is intended to limit any rights you may have which may not be lawfully limited.
No warranty. Your use of our Services and any content is solely at your own risk and discretion. They are provided to you “as is” and “as available”. That means they don’t come with any warranty of any kind, express or implied. Novelstar specifically disclaims any implied warranty of merchantability, merchantable quality, fitness for a particular purpose, availability, security, title or non-infringement, and any warranties implied by any course of dealing or performance.
Responsibility for Content. All content, whether publicly posted or privately transmitted, is the sole responsibility of the person who originated such content. We may not monitor or control the content posted via the Services and we cannot take responsibility for such content. We do not endorse, support, represent or guarantee the completeness, truthfulness, accuracy, or reliability of any content or communications posted via the Services or endorse any opinions expressed via the Services. You understand that by using the Services, you may be exposed to content that might be offensive, harmful, inaccurate or otherwise inappropriate, or in some cases, postings that have been mislabeled or are otherwise deceptive.
Release. When you use the Services, you release Novelstar from claims, damages, and demands of every kind — known or unknown, suspected or unsuspected, disclosed or undisclosed — arising out of or in any way related to (a) disputes between users, or between users and any third party relating to the use of the Services and (b) the Services.
Novelstar’s liability to you. Novelstar won’t be liable to you for any damages that arise from your use of, or in connection with, the Services and any content. This exclusion includes: (a) where the Services are hacked or unavailable, (b) all types of damages (direct, indirect, punitive, incidental, consequential, special or exemplary), whatever the type of claim or loss (breach of contract, tort (including negligence), breach of warranty, or any other claim or loss), (c) any lost profits, data or revenues, or (d) any conduct or content of other users or third parties on the Site or the Services. In no event shall Novelstar’s liability for damages be in excess of (in the aggregate) one hundred Canadian dollars ($100.00).
Your liability to Novelstar. If you do something that gets us sued, or break any of the promises you make in these Terms of Service, you shall compensate us for any liabilities, losses, claims, and expenses (including reasonable legal fees and costs) that arise from or relate to your use or misuse of the Services. We reserve the right to assume the exclusive defense and control of any matter otherwise subject to this clause, in which case you agree that you’ll cooperate and help us in asserting any defenses.
- Changes. Our Terms of Service may change from time to time. If they do, we’ll let you know about
any material changes, either by notifying you on the Site or by sending you an email. Please
note that your continued use of the Services after any change means that you agree with, and
consent to be bound by, the new Terms of Service. If you disagree with any changes in the Terms
of Service and do not wish to be subject to the revised terms, you will need to close your
account and/or stop using the Services.
Entire agreement. These Terms of Service (including any document incorporated by reference into them) are the whole agreement between Novelstar and you concerning the Services, and these Terms of Service supersede and replace any prior agreements between Novelstar and you regarding the Services.
No waiver and severability. If Novelstar doesn’t exercise or enforce a particular right or provision under these Terms of Service, that doesn’t mean we’ve waived that right or provision. If any provision of these Terms of Service is held to be invalid or unenforceable, then that provision will be limited or eliminated to the minimum extent necessary, and the remaining provisions of these Terms of Service will remain in full force and effect.
Choice of law and jurisdiction. We at Novelstar encourage you to contact us if you’re having an issue, before resorting to the courts. In the unfortunate situation where legal action does arise, these Terms of Service shall be governed by and interpreted in accordance with the laws of the Republic of Singapore. You agree that any dispute or claim arising out of or in connection with these Terms of Service will refer to the Small Claims Tribunal or the courts of Singapore. Assignment. These Terms of Service are personal to you. You can’t assign them, transfer them, or sublicense them unless you get Novelstar’s prior written consent. Novelstar has the right to assign, transfer, or delegate any of its rights and obligations under these Terms of Service without notice and without your consent.
Disclaimers, Limitations of Liability and Indemnification